Marianne’s practice focuses on commercial, corporate and civil litigation, class actions, product liability and professional liability, and more particularly auditors’ liability. She regularly represents clients before all the courts of Quebec and disciplinary bodies. She also assists professionals in providing testimony in investigations undertaken by various regulators or agencies.
Marianne has significant experience in successfully handling class action litigation, including securities and shareholders’ claims, pharmaceutical and product liability and civil liability.
Marianne is a former President and Vice-President of the Québec chapter of the Canadian Bar Association Class Action Division and is still a member of its executive committee.
- GlaxoSmithKline: Advising the client in a proposed class action in relation to allegations of dependency and withdrawal symptoms arising from the use of the anti-depressant Paxil. The Quebec Superior Court dismissed the motion for authorization in 2009 and the decision was unanimously maintained by the Quebec Court of Appeal in November 2010.
- GlaxoSmithKline: Advising the client in a proposed class action relating to allegations of suicide further to the use of Paxil.
- Sanofi-Aventis Canada and other Sanofi entities: Advising the client in the context of a class action instituted in Quebec further to the recall of Allerject devices used for allergic reactions.
- Johnson and Johnson: Advising the client in a medical device class action involving hip implants.
- Johnson and Johnson: Advising the client in a proposed class action involving the drug Invokana.
- Otsuka Canada Pharmaceutical Inc.: Advising client in the context of a proposed class action involving the drug Abilify.
- Otsuka entities: Advising clients in the context of proposed class action involving the drug Rexulti.
- Toronto-Dominion Bank: Advising client in a proposed secondary market liability class action.
- Deloitte: Advising the client in a class action further to the sale of promissory notes to investors in the alleged Mount Real fraud.
- Deloitte: Advising the client in a class action taken on behalf of investors in a public company.
- Émergis and Telus Health Solutions: Advising the client in a proposed class action taken on behalf of members of the Association québécoise des pharmaciens propriétaires (Quebec association of pharmacy owners) that raises issues relating to contractual arrangements.
- Hydro-Québec: Advising the client in a proposed class action in Quebec arising from the 1998 ice storm.
- Hydro-Québec: Advising the client in the context of international arbitration further to the 1998 ice storm.
- The Best Lawyers in Canada (2019-2023): recognized for her work in Class Action Litigation and Product Liability Law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2014-2023: recommended in Class Actions
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2011, 2012, 2015 and 2023: recommended in Professional Liability
- Acritas Stars 2017, 2018 and 2019 – Designated as a “Star” lawyer by a panel of over 4,300 clients
- LMG Life Sciences, 2013-2015: identified as a Life Science Star
- Expert Guides: Guide to the World’s Leading Women in Business Law, 2014: Life Sciences
- Lawyer Monthly – Women in Law Award 2014: in recognition of her work in the Life Sciences sector
- International Who’s Who of Life Sciences Lawyers: 2013, 2014
- Who’s Who Legal, Canada 2014: Life Sciences
- LMG Life Sciences, 2013: Canadian Product Liability Attorney of the Year
- Mateesco-Matte Award in Transportation Law
- Bar of Montreal Award and Young Bar Association of Montreal Award
Memberships, Activities and Associations
- Member of the Quebec Bar (1989)
- Canadian Bar Association, Quebec Branch
- Executive Committee, Class Actions Section (2016)
- Vice President, Class Actions Section (2012-2014)
- President, Class Actions Section (2014-2016)
- Liaison Committee with the Superior Court of Québec
- Advisory board, Class Action Defence Quarterly